Saturday, November 7, 2009

A moment out of time

Just spent this Saturday morning – okay, part of the afternoon – sipping coffee and listening to a CD of Artur Rubinstein playing Chopin Nocturnes while reading my just-arrived December issue of Popular Mechanics.

I wonder if a brain scan would somehow reveal how that felt: Like the perfect combination of cozy familiarity (piano music) plus the jolting unfamiliarity of coming upon new technology and advances I don't entirely understand. Add to that the contentment of being doubly nourished, mouth and mind: drinking coffee just how I like it, and pushing my brain to a new level of understanding of the world. Then there was the pleasure of doing three of my favorite things at the same time: drinking coffee, reading, listening to music.

Meanwhile, the daily newspaper sits unread, some pots need to be scrubbed, and the floor needs to be vacuumed. And I don't regret how I spent this morning (okay, part of the afternoon), at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment